Re: A plea for clarity

Harry Binswanger:

Far be it from me to be opposed to clarity. I have been using ^ for ctrl, *
for shift, and @ for alt for many years, as much documentation does, and
have yet to encounter a complaint from anyone who can't understand them
(that was not your complaint).

A certain number of gurus aside, most people are more familiar with
keystrokes than with functions. My keyboard is probably as non-standard as
yours, which you can verify by downloading it from the list's FTP site. In
order to find out quickly what people are talking about when they refer to
keystrokes, I keep a copy of the original XY (and XW) keyboard on my disk.

I do think that your point was well taken. It would be a good idea to
mention functions along with keystrokes. I just don't think most people
would be willing to do it.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania