Re: Slightly OT - Vista Directories/DOS Batch

> One of the sovereign bad habits of XP and Vista is that, after a
> crash, it erases these windows and leaves me with a blank slate.

"after a crash"... After what kind of crash? Crash of what?
Why would explorer.exe itself crash? If explorer itself
actually crashed, goodbye desktop. It never crashes. It's the
parent of everything you see, and much else that you don't see.
Actually, explorer can crash. It then automatically re-launches itself (or
tries to). When it crashes, your desktop goes blank, and then if it
relaunches, it re-appears. I had that problem not infrequently with my
previous computer. This one, almost never (but had it happen,
coincidentally, last night). Both ran or run XP, although the new computer
is Pro and the old wasn't.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx