Re: Slightly OT - Vista Directories/DOS Batch

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:11:25 +0100

> One of the sovereign bad habits of XP and Vista is that, after a
> crash, it erases these windows and leaves me with a blank slate.

"after a crash"... After what kind of crash? Crash of what?
Why would explorer.exe itself crash? If explorer itself
actually crashed, goodbye desktop. It never crashes. It's the
parent of everything you see, and much else that you don't see.

> explorer /e,c:\usr\07
> explorer /e,W:\users\bil\desktop\hd\usr\07

> However, this batch file doesn't work in Vista...

Works for me, under Vista Ultimate... If this is a BATch file,
and you want these windows to open simultaneously, then you
musto use explorer asynchronously, so prepend "start" to each of
those lines:
 start c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe /e,c:\usr\07
I don't know what you mean by "grinding" to a halt. You hear a
grinding noise or something? Ferret eating your computer? It
halts because explorer is a synchronous process! First the
BATfile displays C:\usr\07, and then, after you close that
window, the BATfile next displays W:\users\bil\whatever... one
at a time.

> how do I invoke these DOS processes under Vista?
> I tried KMD but that doesn't seem to be working either.

 kmd /c batfilename.bat

Works perfectly!

Uhhh, just "slightly" OT? Or...

Robert Holmgren