RE: XyWrite and C (in the 21st century)

I would love to see the Xywrite source used as a template to jump off to
bigger and better things. (Isn't Nota Bene in some sense like that
though?)
I agree that we would probably need help, but the Open Source community
is a mixed bag.
Also, at least on the Mac OS X side, over the past few years, I've seen
a lot of different and specific wordprocessor being produced. While some
you see that try and mimic M$ Word, or Open Office, i have seen a lot
that are specific to writing a novel, writing a screenplay, keeping
track of bits of information related to writing your novel/screenplay,
some wordprocessors that mimic the old DOS days with the notion being
that the windowed environments make it distracting when trying to write
creatively. I mention this because it reminds me of the good old days
when Xywrite, Wordperfect, Multimate, Wordstar, etc were all thriving as
well as a lot of smaller specific purpose wordprocessors existed for
DOS. There were a lot of neat choices back then!
Also, on the Mac side, an interesting thing is happening with the Eudora
Mail application. From what i understand, the people that had this
application on the PC, as well as the Mac, Qualcomm, decided to stop
active development on Eudora, and use source from the Mozilla
Thunderbird Mail application as the basis for their NEW version of
Eudora. Long time users of Eudora weren't too happy with the interface
changes and feature changes that this was going to entail. Another
company, Infinity Data Systems, took the task to create a Mail
application, Odysseus, that would offer the features and functionality
of the old Eudora. An important note, they do NOT have the source from
the old Eudora, so they are writing this new application from the ground
up.
They have been offering the beta's for free, as well as offering a low
intro price now, for the released product when complete.
It would be nice to find a company interested in Xywrite they way IDS is
about Eudora!
It'd be nice to have an updated Xywrite. I'd like to have a native
version for OS X.

Russ