HTML

Not with HTML, but with SGML. I just finished a crash project
that involved inserting tags into a bunch of new documents and
in some cases changing the order of tags in legacy documents to
match a new DTD (document type definition). (Camera rolling,
close up on smiling customer..) "Thanks to XyWrite's amazing
language, XPL, I was able to write a macro at three in the
morning to search for text within certain SGML tags, move that
text to another SGML tag, delete all the stuff between the old
tags, rename the remaining tags, and save the file using TYF and
a modified ascii.prn print file. My print file also inserted
appropriate tags for bold, italic and hotlinks (from MD+UL to
MD-UL). Plus I automated the process down to two keystrokes: one
to open the file from the directory listing, another to run the
program. Once I was rolling I changed all 250 documents in an
hour. My fingers hurt at the end, though."

Kidding aside, I also wrote a macro to check for balanced tags
(lots of BX ch/t |

| Q2, then grabbing VA$WC to compare with the count from

) and another that pulls out all cross-reference links an logs them to a file. X-refs were the trickiest thing in my project and this little macro saved me hours of SGML parser headaches. Doug Beeson EDI World Institute Montreal, Quebec [Canada] <== we'll see on Oct. 30 whether this stays. beesond@xxxxxxxx --------- From: nsivin To: xywrite Subject: HTML Date: October 15, 1995 21:43 Does anyone has experience with using XyWrite for HTML markup that they'd like to share? Jack Shafer