Re: No TrueType 141?

Me:

>>For example, the ME "yogh" character at 141. I can't see how I
>>can enter this using XyWrite alone, and attempts to copy it from another
>>program and paste it produce either a space or nothing at all.

Harry Binswanger:

>Odd. Have you tried printing it out? You're using XyWin, but I know in
>Xy4DOS non-standard characters of this type often print differently than
>they look on the screen, even in WYSIWYG mode.

There's no point attempting to print it out, because there's nothing in the
file to print out. When I paste in character 141 decimal from my font
display utility, I see nothing happening. Optimistically, I save anyway.
I open the saved file with Take Command's LIST module, but see no added
character--even when I do a hex dump. When I instead paste it into
WordPerfect (or type Alt-Num-141 in WordPerfect), I see a
square--indicating that an innocuous byte has been added but the default
font lacks a graph for it. But when I select the Brut typeface for that
area of the WordPerfect file, there's my "yogh".

Let's forget this obscure TTF and instead play with the much more widely
used Zapf (?) Wingdings, which I think came in MS' "TrueType Font Pack".
This too has a character at 141 decimal: a black circle with a white 2 on
it. Try it and see: in any conventional [non-Xy!] Windows word processor
or text editor, select Wingdings and type Alt-Num-141. Now, how can we see
that same Wingdings graph--on screen or on paper--when using XyWin?

NB although I keep harping on character 141, I'm not wondering about the
lack of a single character. There's a row of possible TrueType characters
that seem beyond XyWin's grasp.
Peter Evans