Re: Temp file names

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Fri, 20 Jun 2003
13:57:08 -0400

> Pardon my memory lapses, and thanks for your help.

So, the cat is out of the bag. We've been casting sidelong glances at one
another for some time now, Harry, concerning your memory lapses -- but nobody
wished to embarrass you!

Now, let's see: what was the question again? Temp files. Which temp files
are you referring to? There's FO.TMP, and REVIEW.TMP, etc -- but the only true
temp files made by XyWrite (that I can remember offhand) are the overflow files
with random filenames, like UPMACBNA.TMP and YJTBRAJD.TMP, which go into the
default DR directory. But if all you want is "to have the pgm have a window to
display a message that's too long for the command line", why not use an
[UNTITLED] window [NE command]? Much easier than messing around with a real
file -- but if you need one (for programming), U2's TMPFILE/NV command outputs
an available random filename in S/G 50.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx