Re: Temp file names

> I've forgotten: what does Xy4DOS call a temp file?

Is that a trick question, Harry? You can call a temp file anything
you like
But there used to be, in Xy3 days, an automatic one called SCR.TMP or
something like that, which couldn't be saved.
, of course -- as long as it doesn't duplicate an existing
filename. There's a U2 routine called TMPFILE that generates
likely-to-be-unique 8.3 filenames at will (the filename is output to
Save/Get 50). Hit TMPFILE a few times to see what it does.

That's an interesting feature. A random text generator.
> My immediate use is to have the pgm have a window to display a
> message that's too long for the command line.

For that you don't even need to name the file. Just display the
error message in an Untitled file.
Aha! Looking at your code (for which I thank you) I see that doing a ne
command with no name specified gives you "Untitled" and that that cannot
get accidentally saved. That's what I needed.
BTW, I've seen the /100 switch before on ne (or was it on ca?) but I've
forgotten what it does (and it's not in the manual).

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx