sound with Xy on windows machine

Emery wrote: "You're using Windows 2000, right?" No, 98, 2d ed. Most
laptops (certainly mine, which is pretty ancient: a Compaq 120 MHz P1,
with 24 measly Mb or ram) have sound cards built in. Mine has a built-in
speaker and mike, but the sound card died. When it was working, I got my
error beeps fine.
	Timothy wrote, "The slider on the far right is for "PC Beep." Well, yes,
but you have to activate it. I just tried on this PC (the old K6/2, which
stopped running Xy 2 months ago, unless I reboot to DOS; hence the new
machine), which has a sound card, though no speakers hooked up. When I
double clicked on the volume control, I got several sliders, but none
labeled "PC Beep." Clicked on Options, and found one to add PC Beep. Will
try that on the new PC and see what happens. Many thanks for all the
suggestions.
Patricia