Re: sound with Xy on windows machine

"J. R. Fox"  wrote:

> The determining test would be to see if some other DOS ( or Win-16 ?)
> app.s that can "sound off" via error beeps to the system speaker still do
> so under W2K.

The _oooold_ Norton utilites for DOS (a handy set of tools if there ever
was one) include BEEP.EXE which simply sounds a beep through the PC
speaker when run from the command line. (It was intended for use in
batch files and such.) This is very handy to do the kind of checking you
have in mind. I've used BEEP a lot in the past, and I still keep it around.

A similar program (freeware) is here:

http://members.optushome.com.au/quentinc/beep.html

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx