Re: Fax alternatives

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:21:55 EST

I erred in suggesting that you could use Word-4-Word filters to translate
text documents into faxes. I got to thinking about it, and whereas it's
feasible from text to fax, there's no way you can get fax to text without
a full-fledged OCR package. (Duh!) Anyway, because miracles
occasionally happen, I tried it this afternoon. Doesn't work in
any direction. Apparently, the W4W graphics filters work within the realm
of graphics (PCX to BMP, etc), the text filters translate text, and the
twain don't meet. Alas. Apologies to Chiozzi Andrea.

I use a PCL-to-PCX translator disguised as a printer driver that's assigned to
LPT3:. It intercepts data headed to LPT3: and redirects it to my fax program
(FaxPM, aka FaxWorks). PCL is the language of Hewlett-Packard lasers. Works like
a charm; you send directly from the XyWrite command line.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx