Re: DOS Window Font Nomenclature and Identification

Robert Holmgren wrote:

Here's a good test of this procedure. I take another copy
of your font and REName it "Mono850m.FON" (instead of
"Mono850n.FON"). I edit the font with a byte editor: I
change "Terminal 17" to "Terminal_17", and I change
"Mono850n" to "Mono850m". Then I install the second,
identical font.

Robert,
I have tested your procedure. It works under W2000. It's perfect. But, unfortunately, it doesn't work under W95/98 (same test files, installed via Control Panel). So, two scenarios in this environment if I like to build a 800x600 font for windowed mode: 1. If the system use Windows small display fonts (Display properties, etc.), I fill the screen using a 10x21 matrix. Everything is OK. 2. If the system use Windows big display fonts, it should be necessary to use a 10x20 matrix to fill the screen but it's impossible because that matrix conflicts with the 8514 OEM font (a 10x20 matrix, if the system uses Windows big display fonts). Then I would have to use a 10x19 matrix (obtaining a windowed window a bit short) or a 10x21 matrix (a bit long). Siebert uses the 10x21 matrix and now I understand the reason.
What a font management!!
Then, no doubt. But I am not very optimistic about the success of my effort. So, I am attaching an image of the possible 800x600 screen. Obviously it's a first draft, I can polish the font, but I would like to receive some feedback from the members of the list. I'll continue to work only if someone is interested in the possible font.
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao