Re: Changing character sets in Xy4 [ was Re: TYP and XY3]

Reply to message from Robert Holmgren , 3 Feb 2005
14:27:09

≪it makes equal or more sense to work in 1252 (especially since 1252
exploits the
capabilities of the font to a MUCH greater extent -- 1252 can be
completely, and perfectly, mapped).≫

OK. Fas est, et ab hoste doceri; or, for the lack-Latins, even M$ does
something good once in a while.

≪ parts of the Speedo extended charset can also be mapped to standard
Postscript fonts. I haven't tackled that yet, but I might, at some
point, integrate that into these Postscript PRNs. Or, doesn't anybody
care? Anybody else besides Paul have an opinion?≫

It would be wonderful if not too much trouble. As should be evident, much
as I love and appreciate the richness of English, I'm always using words
in other languages, even in idle chitchat. Anyone who has to deal with
apparatus criticus is going to need all sorts of accented letters and
other characters. Not to mention avoiding the stigma of American
monoglotism (to coin a word; hmm, should that have two ts?).

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx