Re: Changing character sets in Xy4 [ was Re: TYP and XY3]

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Tue, 1 Feb
2005 21:42:23 -0500

> Let's not isolate ourselves with some provincial codepage.
> Or has the rest of the world jumped on the M$ train too?

You got it. 1252 is a modification of Latin-1, also known as ISO 8859-1, and
the latter _is_ the standard for Western European languages (Germanic and
Romance). Since M$ is the OpSys on north of 90% of all computers worldwide...
it isn't difficult to reach realistic conclusions.

That said, 850 is the standard for DOS. However, it seems to me that it makes
equal or more sense to work in 1252 (especially since 1252 exploits the
capabilities of the font to a MUCH greater extent -- 1252 can be completely,
and perfectly, mapped).

There's an additional wrinkle, that parts of the Speedo extended charset can
also be mapped to standard Postscript fonts. I haven't tackled that yet, but I
might, at some point, integrate that into these Postscript PRNs. Or, doesn't
anybody care? Anybody else besides Paul have an opinion? Because I'm gonna
count my opinion as one vote, too.
You need to think it though. For example, if you had a lot of legacy documents
in 850 that you print frequently, that would be influential.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx