searching for text across subdirectories

I often use se *.* /searchstring/ in an empty window to find a text string
across all files in the directory. But is there a way to do this that
includes subdirectories? I'm sure it's included in the Jumbo utils. I also
notice that in XP, SP 1, you can now tell the wretched XP search engine to
search for all files, not merely those with extensions (or no extensions)
that it recognizes. That has been extremely helpful.
I have yet to find an external search text/indexing utility that seems to
be really good. Everything I got off the net yesterday seemed to have some
intractable problem. Not that I went very far with it after I learned that
XP could be reconfigured.
I also still have this problem with getting the DOS windows to be, let us
say, 39 or 40 lines long, instead of the 43 lines that, as if by some
stubborn alchemical custom, they insist on being. Weird!