Re: CPU hogging Xywin under OS/2

>Two anomalies. Sometimes, after minimizing Xywin, some of the old xywin
>screen bleeds onto the desktop. I can usually clear it up if I restore
>and them minimize again.

I missed previous discussion on this -- I wonder whether looking for
an updated driver for your video card might clear this up.

>Second. If I monitor CPU use using the OS2
>"Pulse" meter. Xywin seems to crank up CPU use to 100% and stay there.
>Its the only program(win, dos or os2 that does that). Can still run
>other apps, but I suspect Xywin's hoggy behavior is not doing wonders
>for performance.

I run one or two Agenda sessions and these hog the cpu as well (and
were seriously constraining Robert Holmgren's Xy-OS2 shell's
performance). I toyed with two DOS session settings -- "idle seconds"
and "idle sensitivity" -- and these did the trick. I use Describe
instead of Xy-Win so I can't speak for the latter's optimal settings,
but try this:
Open the settings notebook for your XyWin program object. Click the
second page, "Session," then on the button, "Win-OS2 Settings," then
on "All Win-OS2 Settings."  First note what the values for IDLE
SECONDS and IDLE SENSITIVITY are, just in case you have to revert back
to them. Now change them however you please: For Agenda in a windowed
DOS session, I have Idle Seconds set to 60 and Idle Sensitivity set to
7.

I've never really understood what these mean, frankly, though I've
read about them many times. Basically some dos apps poll the CPU for
no reason whatever, and the CPU can be told to ignore some of this
polling with no performance degradation to the app itself....

Rafe T.