Re: Printers/XyWrite 3+/OS2 v3

Annie wrote:

> I'm sorry to further a topic that had no business on this list
> in the first place,

  Oh yes, sort of like the "concubine" topic right? In fact, this is a
"concubine" thread, or should we say "prostitute" thread? For what else
can we call these absudities emanating from the NY Times?
  Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would even bother to read an
article on the computer industry printed by any newspaper, let alone
quote it -- I've never seen one yet that wasn't so pathetically full of
error as to be laughable if it wasn't so sad that the readers were being
so badly misled. The Times seems to be rather formost in this regard, as
we recall with their sleazy (dare we say deliberate?) misqoutes of
Gestner and other IBMer's, their incredible pandering to Billy Gates in
their infamous review of Warp by a sleazeball buddy of Gates?????

> "In a move that shows how efforts by IBM and Motorola to
> establish a successful competitor to Intel's Pentium computer
> chip are flagging, both companies are dropping support for the

  God, what BS -- is this agitprop, or is this agitprop? It certainly
isn't journalism. How much does Intel pay this guy? Or is he just
stupid? Or is it both?

> "The decision, which was made last week, leaves Apple Computer's
> Macintosh line and its clones as the only high-volume desktop computers
> to use the Power PC chip.

  Oh really? Let's look at this -- is the RS6000 a desktop machine in
the first place? Most of them are used as servers, eh?

> "Executives at IBM and Motorola, which joined with Apple
> in 1991 to develop the Power PC, cited poor sales of
> Windows NT for Power PCs as the reason behind the decision[. ...]
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> "`Frankly, the volumes have been very low,' said Bill O'Leary,
> a spokesman for IBM's RS6000 division, which sells computers
> based on the Power PC. `Most people have come to the conclusion
> that NT on Intel is the combination.' [...]
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Exactly right! Very, very, very few people who are hip enough about
hardware in the first place to buy a PPC machine (or any other high
performance machine) are going to turn around and cripple it with some
lame OS like NT.
  Intel is the CPU for the masses -- the great unwashed. Those who know
-- and can afford it -- buy PPC's (well, that's the lower end), DEC
Alpha's, or Suns, or HP, or SGI. Intel is like MS -- lowest echelon,
bottom of the barrel, KMart specials.

> "IBM also announced earlier this year that it would soon begin
> to sell computer workstations for engineers and scientists that
> run Windows NT and are powered by Intel's Pentium Pro chip. [...]

  Yes, but they don't "support" NT on those machines -- Intel does
that, all they have to do is stick the parts together and shove it out
the door -- something I could teach the retards at our local group home
to do in an afternoon.

> But because of design improvements by Intel, the Power PC
> never offered significantly better performance than Intel's Pentium,

  Now here's where this bozo really shows his ignorance -- or is it his
venality? How much did he get paid by Intel for this piece anyway?
"Never offered significantly better performance" is a serious lie, not a
mistatement. Sure, the Pentium Pro outperforms the earlier, low-end PPC
chips --- but they've been developing right along too. Again, Intel is
the just the bottom of the barrel -- heck, even the pentium clones made
by Cyrix and AMD outperform it, and when you get into the PPC world
Intel looks like a sick joke.

> "Intel is expected to sell 75 million microprocessors for personal
> computers this year, compared with an estimated 4.6 million Power PC
> chips sold by IBM and Motorola, according to Dataquest, the market
> researchers. [...]"

  So? Some people drive Ford station wagons, some people drive
Jaguars, some people drive Ferrari's.
  We were talking about NT --- sorry, but running systems is my
business, it's how I make a living, and believe me -- nobody, but
nobody, runs NT for a server that knows what they are doing. There are
those who run it on a desktop -- I can't imagine why. As for the PPC not
being a viable choice -- I know one thing. Now that Linux has been
ported to the PowerMac, and the new, wonderful BeOS has been ported to
the PowerMac, and now that Steve Jobs has come home and brought NeXT
with him as the new Mac OS --- my next machine is going to be a
dual-processor PowerMac. I can run any windoze app on it, any Unix app
on it, any Mac app on it -- looks good to me.
  And please, Annie -- if you want to quote something to support your
arguements, quote a reasonable authority, okay? Not some trash like the
Times.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here -- and you