Re: Printers/XyWrite 3+/OS2 v3

Dear Xy3+ users,

For what it is worth, I use Xy3+ with Win95 and the Brother HL630 laser
printer. Works great because the printer emulates an old HP LJ 2P and so
the old XyWrite drivers for the 2p work. But I had to buy bitmapped fonts
for some $200 from a Hewlett Packard custom software service to load down
to the Brother printer. I run a batch file in DOS to do this, but it is
slow and very reminiscent of computing mid 1980s style. I've always
wondered if there might have been some other way to do this -- that is, to
avoid having to buy the software for the bitmapped fonts, avoid the old
slow process of loading the printer's memory, etc. As far as I can see
the crux of the matter in buying a printer for Xy3+ is getting the
appropriate fonts software. Wouldn't this be so no matter what OS were
in use?

--J. Emerick