Re: off-topic: curly brackets

Sorry--this needs clarification.

I am reading page proofs because I am the author.

The layout artist is putting topic names inside curly
brackets, as though curly brackets were decorative devices,
but it seems to me that they have *meaning*, that they are
directions about how to approach the material between them.

I managed to get the curly brackets taken off this afternoon
by saying I felt they turned the topic names into asides. I
won, but was I correct?

After Leslie goaded me, I came up with some better terms to
narrow my google search and found a few entries dealing with
math, formatting documents for editing, foreign languages
and...I forget what the fourth one was. But nothing about
what curly brackets mean when they enclose words in a mass
publication.

I've been seeing a lot of heads, subheads and call outs in
curly brackets in "hi-design" magazines, so I think I'm
going to be seeing more of them in my own work, too.
I'm looking for an argument based on standards or
conventions in order to (a> convince layout artists to stop
using them or [b} convince myself that I'm wrong.

{Thanks}(now doesn't that sound like the merest whisper?)
Judith Davidsen