Re: TTG marketing woes

At 09:36 AM 2/2/96 EST, you wrote:

>Oh dear, I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this,

I think your initial judgment was on target.

>My complaint with all the Windows-based word processors, XyWrite
>included, is that they do not have a true draft mode (as XyWrite 4 for DOS
>and its predecessors do): big easy-to-read type, all coding revealed,
>etc., the old-fashioned ascii screen. Now I'm growing old and my eyesight
>is getting bad but I know productivity is enhanced even for young, well-
>sighted WRITERS when they can really see what they are doing. I find
>WordWin and AmiPro and the rest horribly hard to read.

You are right about Windows word processors' not having a true draft mode.
However, XyWin and WordPerfect have a "reveal codes" feature (if that's your
cup of tea), and you can change the size of the system font by altering your
system.ini.. WinWord has two draft modes: one uses the system font, the
other uses the selected (e.g., True type) font. With the latter choice, you
can change the "zoom" and make the text appear as large as you like. With
AmiPro and Winword, you can write a simple macro (and assign it to a
keystroke) to change the zoom when you toggle between draft and graphic
modes. Because WinWord allows you to configure a different keyboard for
every template, you can write macros that toggle different zoom levels and
assign them to the same keystroke.

As with a configurable keyboard, the feature you seek is already there. This
is not to suggest that you should change your operating system, platform, or
software, or alter your word processing habits. I think you should use the
tools that work best for you; I believe that you alone should determine what
best meets your needs. It would be a shame, though, if one of those young
well-sighted WRITERS you've alluded to could work more effectively with the
software they prefer.

>My biggest wish for the next Windows version of XyWrite is that they give
>you control over the screen appearance of the draft mode, font, size of
>type, colors, etc. As it is, I do all of my writing in DOS and only use
>the Windows version when I need to exchange data with other programs or
>want to prepare a document for publication.

Just to demonstrate that I'm not trying to be unduly adversarial here, I
first want to agree with you: I hope that XyWin 5 (if it ever appears) will
include a user-selected system font. Second, like you, I do much of my
head-down writing and editing with one program, then format it with another
program. In my case, I create a document with WinWord and save it as an
.RTF. Then, I compose and edit the file with a DOS text editor. I wish that
I could use XyWin alone and relegate WinWord to doing short pieces such as
letters and memos, or items that require light DTP features. Unfortunately,
and this is the principal point of the thread, XyWin 4.12 is not up to the
task, and several folks here are more than skeptical about the prospect of
TTG ever producing a bona fide GUI product.

To conclude: Most of the features that once distinguished XyWrite have been
incorporated into (should I say "ripped off" by?) MS and other developers of
GUI software. As a result, XyWrite retains a small loyal following, but
support is dwindling as its product line becomes antiquated. I suspect that
everyone here rues this situation. A few might even disagree; unfortunately,
at least some of their claims are predicated on faulty information about GUI
programs. Because GUI software is so slow and plodding, there is an opening
in the marketplace for products such as XyWrite and XyWin. However, a badly
written product or one without the features that today's users have come to
expect has no chance. Companies that release bad products, fail to market
their goods aggressively, and make promises they do not fulfill are grist
for the mill.

Take care, Chuck.

Paul