Re: Windows Text

At 07:47 PM 1/31/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm relative new to windows. As a DOS man I helped the on-screen text
>with Ultravision, well-known, as I gather, among xywriters. Now that I'm
>forced to use windows--for WFW for many tasks at work--I miss those well
>formed and fat and sharp characters UV produced. Is there anyway to
>improve the appearance of on-screen text in WFW or any windows app? I'm
>using win3.1. I'm told that if one switched to win95 one could buy
>Microsoft Plus which has a utility to tweak the text. But I have a
>three-year-old system, 33mz/170hd and I want to stick with 3.1 for a
>while. Any suggestions, software or a new video card that may have some
>good drivers that let you tweak win3.1 on-screen characters, fatten them
>up, fill in some pixels. Thanks.

Michael,

I'm not aware that the MS Plus pack includes a utility that would allow you
to tweak the screen font on the fly. Also, I have found that WFW 6.x runs
significantly better on the Windows 3.x platform than on Windows 95, and
most users seem to be saying that WFW 7 isn't work the price of the upgrade.
You do have several options, however.

For instance, you can produce two identical templates, one with the font you
desire for formatting, the other with the font you want for draft work.
Select the font that you find most readable (I personally would choose MS
Sans Serif for this purpose) and change the draft template's "normal" style
to this font. You also might want to change line spacing, zoom level, and
other formatting options. Then, record a macro that changes the style sheet,
along with other options you desire, and draft mode to graphic mode or
vice-versa, and assign this macro to a keystroke. When you execute the
macro, you will be moving from the graphic font and formatting scheme to the
draft front and formatting scheme.

Paul