RE: Off-topic CD-R Backup

John wrote, "It's not the files-in-use which cause the problems, it's the
special files which things like antivirus programs load very early on in
the boot process. "
Well, all I know is that when I tried to Copy to when I didn't even have
an anti-virus app on my system, I got the message "cannot copy file
[whatever.dll]; file is in use." Then there are all those hidden,
read-only, and system files. Of course, one can turn the attributes off
from the command line, but what would happen if one forgot to turn one of
them back on? I've never dared try for fear of that. Acutally, though,
his method gives me an idea: let me try copying everything I can, then
using Karen's DirPrint to file to get a list of the resulting files, then
get a list of the original files, pull them both up in Xy, sort by name,
and run file compare. If one knew that it was certain files--and always
just those ones only--one could write a batch file to XCOPY them (first
turning off, then back on, the H, R, and S attributes). If one knows what
files one is XCOPYing (instead of relying on *.* /s), one can enclose the
LFN in quotes and so preserve it.
Patricia