Re: Off Topic, Part 2 (Avant Stellar keyboards)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> It hurts, but periodically I pitch the obsolete stuff that I've kept on
> the shelf. Nobody wants a USRobotics 2400 baud Courier, even if it cost
> 200 bucks just a few years back and works perfectly. Ditto the serial
> cards and video cards, beautiful flat-screen B&W monitors and all that
> junk. Just pitch it.

Beautiful flat-screen B & W monitors? Gee, I wish you had pitched some of
those my way! Especially if they were true black-and-white, sometimes
called "paper-white," to distinguish them from the amber-on-black or
green-on-black types. Surely my original black-and-white monitor, circa
1992, is going to blink out soon (it was twice repaired, though, curiously
the last time was 1994), and I fear that I'm not going to have any choice
but to replace it with a color monitor. My computer is a writing machine,
pure and simple (hence XyWrite). I use the Macintosh in my office for the
Internet, etc. I LIKE colors, and they're useful or even necessary in
some applications, but I find that looking at color monitors wearies my
eyes much more quickly, even if the screen is set all in grays. And if
I'm writing in XyWrite, I don't NEED colors.

Does anyone else share this optical prejudice?

Carlo Caballero
Research Associate
Campus Box 301
The University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309

thyrsus@xxxxxxxx

"France has for some years been in a permanent state of colloquium."
                         --Vladimir Jankélévitch