Question: non-xywrite...?

I've gotten myself involved in one of those extra-curricular
projects. It consists in trying to put together a street map
of a small village as it was in the 1950s. The particularity
of this map is that I would like also to be able to identify
the relative location of the residences of individuals on the
street(s). These residences could be indentified by a footnote-
like number, which would allow me to move to a footnote-like
entry wherein information would be located on the history of
the property. The street map itself does not have to be
accurate, in the sense that a very angular representation of
the streets would be ok.

Now, to my question: Does anyone know of a computer programme
to do this sort of thing? I suppose that it would have to be a
programme that would be able to handle both basic drawing and text.

Sorry about this off-topic question to the list.

M.W. Poirier