Re: XyWin vs. WPWin

>On Thu, 9 Feb 1995, Nathan Sivin wrote:
>
>> Using WPWin 6.1 on a 4DX2-66mhz machine, it takes about 50 sec. to
>> load from the icon in Windows, and a simple search and replace on a
>> 200K file takes 20-30 sec. Keep in mind that the same file in XYDOS
>> would be half the size.
>> >Oh, that's depressing. I wonder how Xy-Win does on those tests.
>
>jb

  Well, you have to expect that sort of sloth from any windoz
program, especially WP. Ever try to convert a WP file into XY??
After I put it thru the conversion stuff, then I have to take a
text editor (not XY) and go thru the file with a fine tooth comb,
hand removing any little weird characters
(many of which don't show up in XY) and then, only then, can I
make that file work in something like a mail list, etc.
 Any way, for comparison, on my machine, just this morning, I
timed the loading of Aldus Pagemaker for OS/2 (9 sec) with
Ventura for windoz (70 sec.) -- now, of course, that was not by
first calling up a fullscreen windoz prompt and then timing
Ventura, which I will do tomorrow. But still, that's a major
difference.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx