unsolicited software, elusive software

Robert Holmgren:

>Generally it seems to me that the people with the least
>to offer do the most insistent talking.

I resemble that remark, too. (Yes, my VCR continues to flash "12:00".)

>Is it my responsibility to
>ensure that I don't receive letter bombs? Nonsense.

Granted.

>And if a participant is incapable of knowing whether they're sending them
>or not, of running a decent Email client, or of guaranteeing their own
>benign behavior, then they should be GONE, A.S.A.P.

I think this implies: "If you use the most popular mail client on the
planet and are no more than averagely knowledgable about it, then piss
off!" I have to admit to being in partial gut-agreement with this line,
but it seems a bit exclusive.

You seem to expect that people on this list will be moderately well
informed and in control of their computers. But people like that won't run
an executable that they get as an unexpected file attachment.

Contrary to what we hear in self-serving scare stories propagated by
Network Associates, Symantec, etc., most viruses are pretty lame (see
http://kumite.com/myths/ ). But if somebody sent this list the nastiest
one ever written, I for one would just zap it. ('Course, if the
perpetrator did it again, or didn't apologize, I'd turn on the sarcasm.)

+++++

I'm more annoyed about the coyness surrounding software we *do* want:
SmartWords. Is it available? If not, when will it be available? How much
does airmail cost?

+++++

(PS in an earlier message I mumbled something about WordPerfect 8. What I
have is WordPerfect 7. Sorry, senility strikes me when least expected.)

Peter Evans