Re: 'Cant run command'

Reply to notes from rrr@xxxxxxxx (Rene von Rentzell) Fri, 4 Sep
1998 09:20:31 +0900 and 14:55:12 +0900 (JST)

-> Suddenly, out of the blue, XY3 gives me a "Can't run command"
-> message when I type DOS on the command line. Never had this
-> problem before. Everything else seems to work. Func mem tells
-> me there is 380 k available. What should I do?

-> The funny thing is, XY4 still works fine. Only XY3.55 gives me
-> this trouble.

It's memory-related. Does it happen later in an editing session,
but not early on? Are large files open when you run the command, or
does it happen after you've been editing a large file? Is there a
reverse-video X in the upper-right corner of the screen (indicating
the Xy is writing memory-overflow data to disk)? If so, you may be
bumping into an inherent limitation in v3 memory-management
abilities. The only solution I know of is to quit and restart Xy
(sometimes referred to as "can't run but you can hide"). OTOH, if
the DOS command literally never works, then that *is* a mystery.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/