Re: Qwerty and Dvorak touch-typing.

                         Michael Edwards.

[Phil Ferreira:]

>Well, I must admit that on those (rare) occasions I'm forced to use Qwerty
>(almost always on a standard typewriter) I revert to hunt-and-peck. My
>Qwerty touch-typing skills are completely gone.
>
>As for my friend, she regularly typed on both keyboards--Qwerty at work,
>Dvorak at home. And, from what she told me, she had no problem moving from
>one to the other.

   Just adding up these comments, plus a few others, it seems as if I will be
able to use both types of keybord, having learned them properly, provided I keep
using them both regularly - but that if I start using one of them only seldom, I
will lose much of my facility on it.
   That makes the decision a bit hard. There's no doubt that almost all of my
typing is done on my own computers (two of them - three if you count an old
Toshiba XT laptop), but that occasionally it would be convenient to be able to
type on other (qwerty) computers. It would be highly inconvenient to ask
someone else if I can configure their computer to Dvorak even temporarily, even
if technically possible. And I simply wouldn't ask it of someone else.
   I'll just have to think about this a bit further - and maybe (when I'm
ready) start learning the Dvorak keyboard, and see how it goes.
   But thanks to everyone who offered their opinions or experience on this
matter.

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.