Re: Nota Bene and CJK issues

" >Now, in return, will someone kindly tell me whether Nota Bene
" >supports Chinese or Japanese character input using TwinBridge and
" >similar programs? One of you subscribers living in Japan must
" >know. NB is of no use to me unless it does.
" >
" >Cheers,
" >--
" >Nathan Sivin
"
" No idea, since I keep the Japanese stuff on the Mac (which deals with it
" without additional utilities).
" If you tell me where to get this Twinbridge, I can try with the NB demo.

	For PCs, the BBC recommends a bunch of stuff at
	its site with addresses.

	They are all windows for Xywrite for Windows and
	Notabene for Windows.

	Dorothy Day is the expert on CJK and NotabeneWindows

----------- BBC Mandarin ------------------

  [1]BBC World Service Home Page The world's largest radio network
  Mandarin Online

            [2]Americas [3]Europe & FSU
     [4]Africa & Middle East [5]South Asia [6]South East Asia

  [7]Africa & Mid East [8]Americas [9]Europe & FSU [10]South Asia
  [11]Asia-Pacific [12]World Service

  [13]Mandarin [14]Cantonese

  [16]Chinese Text Help

  [24]News [25]China Reel [26]Press Review [27]Feedback
  [28]Hotline [29]e x r [30]Programmes [31]Cantonese

How to view our Chinese pages

  BBC Mandarin pages use simplified Chinese characters with an encoding
  system called Guo Biao (GB)

  If you do not own a Chinese Windows operating system, follow this
  guide:

  You can visit [32]Njstar Software. The company has recently put a
  Chinese Internet plug-in programme for Windows 95/98 and NT called
  NJStar Communicator 2.0 on their site for users to download for
  evaluation for 30 days. Total download size is roughly 3.0 MB. The
  company has also recently released a freeware called NJWIN CJK
  Multilingual Viewer 1.6 for Windows 3.1/95/98. The download size is
  1.5 MB. This handy programme enables users to view both simplified and
  traditional characters. You can find these two programmes by clicking
  the Download link at the left hand site when you reach their home
  page.

  Another site [33]www.twinbridge.com has been specializing in Chinese
  software programmes for years. The company has released its latest
  version: TwinBridge Chinese Partner V4.98 for Windows 95/98. Suggested
  retail price at US$249 and upgrade for US$59. You can download a
  30-day trial version for free. The size of the file is nearly 3.0MB.

  In addition, the company offers unicode Chinese fonts for the
  Internet. If you own a Chinese Twinbridge Partner, you can download
  [34]unicode fonts.

  For Apple users, please visit [35]Apple Macintosh Chinese Language
  Kit. When you reach its home page, click the "Accessories" link. Then
  choose Apple Language Kits, then Chinese.

  This software kit cannot be downloaded from the net. You must order it
  from Apple.

  Happy surfing! If you have difficulties reading our pages, please let
  us know and we will try our best to help.

                          Mandarin from the BBC

  The BBC is not responsible for the contents of outside web site listed
                              on this page.
                              [37][top.gif]
  [38]chinese.service@xxxxxxxx
  © BBC BBC World Service Bush House Strand London UK.
  Tel: +44 171 240 3456