Re: Nota Bene & OS/2

On Thu, 21 Oct 99 17:54:22 -0500, R Tennenbaum wrote:

>David Auerbach wrote:
>
>>has anyone truly settled the issue of whether it runs under OS/2's
>>Windoze (i.e. is it Windoze 3.1 compatible?)?
>
>The demo won't install -- it halts with an "Unexpected DOS error: 23,"
>which seems to indicate a version of Win32 too "late" for OS/2.
>However I recall Mr. Holmgren saying once he'd installed one of the
>(new) full versions -- not the demo -- under Windoze (NT?) he could run
>it under OS/2 fairly well, though I think there may have been one or
>two glitches.
>[deletions]

David, Rafe and other OS/2 users interested in NB,

Yes, it definitely runs under OS/2. It is a 16 bit Win3.1
application. I had no trouble with the install under Warp 4,
FP6. However, as some Win95/98 users have reported there are
some bugs. I've had it GPF several times, mainly when using
Orbis and once, but only once I had the unthinkable with OS/2:
total system crash. I haven't spent a lot of time using NB, but
so far I am relatively pleased despite the hangs. With each GPF,
by the way, I was able to close NB and restart it with no
negative consequences for anything else that was running. Like
most OS/2 users I typically have 12 or more apps going at once.
There are some very nice features in NB. The draft typeface, for
instance, is a pleasant courier. I've loaded my Xy4 keyboard
file and not had to relearn deeply ingrained keystroke
sequences. It will open more than 9 files concurrently; I think
the max is 36 but I've only gone up to 12 to date. On my
computer one irritation is that with Orbis the windows open
*behind* the main NB window, necessitating a quick resort to
Ctl-Esc to bring up the list of open apps. There are other
plusses and minuses, but that's all I have time for now. I have
ordered the full Scholar's Workstation and am looking forward to
giving it a more thorough workout.

Cheers,
John Gordon

John Gordon
Head, School of Social & Cultural Studies
The University of Western Australia
Nedlands, WA 6907
AUSTRALIA

tel: +61 8 9380 2850