Re: No TrueType 141?

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Wed, 05 Nov 1997 12:27:43 +0900

> Me:

>>> If a [TrueType] font has a character whose
>>> decimal value is 141, how do I get it?

> Robert Holmgren (with admirable patience):

>> In the factory-issue XW.KBD, you get it by tapping Alt-Ctrl-1-4-1 on the
>> NumberPad.

> No. This should get character 141 of the XyWrite character set. Different
> beast.

Uh huh. What do you mean, "XyWrite character set"? Alt-Ctrl-1-4-1
generates 141d|8Dh. Prove it with any LISTer. That's what's being SAved,
that's what's being sent to stdout. This is no exotic character set;
nothing could be harder core.

I load WingDings in XyWin, tap Alt-Ctrl-141 (or Alt-Ctrl-Shift-141; these
are identical assignments in XW.KBD), and I get a bold arrow pointing
NorthEast. I load WingDings in MSWrite (the editor supplied with Win3.1),
tap Alt-Shift-141, and I get a bold arrow pointing NorthEast. Identical.
(If, as you wrote in your initial message, a "normal Windows TrueType font
has nothing whatever at 8dh", then what is this -- and whence?)

If I load font Times New Roman under MSWrite, tap Alt-Shift-141, I get
"i-grave". Same character under XyWin. They also print identically to my
LaserJet. (In fact, if I print out all 255 chars in this Times New Roman
set, I get 255 glyphs, each one unique. So it is *impossible* that any one
8-bit character, such as 8dh, is omitted from the total set, even if
codepage is extensively remapping the assignments.)

What does the [boot.description] stanza in SYSTEM.INI say about "codepage"?
(If there's no codepage definition, then embed  in a XyWin text: what
does it say?) My guess is that you've set PRN up to use a SUbstitution
table that remaps your characters; or that your codepage is not set, and
you're defaulting to something strange. What is your codepage, anyway?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx