Re: No TrueType 141?

I may be being stupid, but should someone be saying something about (in
XyWin terms) Ctrl+T -- i.e. introducing the necessary typeface command
before the desired character?

What I mean is that when I want to use musical characters sharp, flat and
natural, the *text* fonts that I happen to have in my repertoire and wish
to use -- principally Times Roman and Garamond -- don't include these sorts
in their character sets. (The "hash" mark # could serve for sharp, but it
doesn't come anywhere near to matching, in weight and dimensions, the flat
and natural available to me.) So I have three little files called
"flat.tr", "sharp.tr" and "natural.tr" -- for when I'm working in
Times
Roman -- and a matching set for Garamond. The "natural.tr" file reads as
follows ≪...≫ = guillemets, [870] = the character evoked by keying (in my
.KBD file, anyway) 8,7,0 on the number pad while holding down Ctrl+Alt:

≪UFSymbolsaplentysh≫≪SY8M,0,0,0≫[870]≪UFTimes new
roman≫≪SY9U,0,0,1≫

"Symbolsaplentysh" being the font I happen to own that will give me the
character I want. If I didn't include the "UF" and "SY" strings, [870]
would yield a cap. letter I with umlaut.

 (For what it's worth, I have no idea what the "SY" strings do -- I include
them because the "Ctrl+T" routine inserts them when I select the typeface.
And when I copy font commands (as I did when making up my "flat.tr" etc.
files), I include them superstitiously -- or piously. When my wife asked me
why I included them, I reminded her of the shepherd mentioned in Dylan
Thomas's preface to his Collected Poems: as I recall the story, Thomas had
once asked the shepherd why he made a "fairy ring" in the meadow and
performed certain routines inside the fairy ring, and the shepherd had
replied "I'd be a damn fool if I didn't." I include the "SY" strings
because I'd be a damn fool if I didn't.)

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel