Re: Xy on New PCs; icon; path

I begin to see what Robert means about the same old same old, but here
goes again: Michael is planning to get a new PC at home and wonders about
getting Xy to work with Gates' latest garbage. Why be forced into using
GLG? Buy your new PC from a mail-order house or a local clone shop that
will sell it WITHOUT an OpSys installed (if you really want to strike a
blow against monopolies, get an AMD CPU as well). Buy a copy of Win98Se
from a liquidator (look in the back of the latest Computer
Shopper, or you may find one at a local show and sale, if there are
any in your area). Partition the drive and install Windows yourself. The
only gotcha is making sure that there are Win98 drivers for any
components (VGA cards, modems, CD-drives, Network card if any); in my
experience, the white box dealers, both local and mail-order, carry
components meant for both new machines and upgrading older systems, and
so DO have such drivers, but do check. Three Geeks and a Goat IS your
friend.
	About the icon: don't try to open it in Netscape. Save it to the hard
drive, then Right click your XyW shortcut, Choose Properties, then
Program, then Change Icon, and browse to wherever you saved it. You
should see a thmbnail of it; I like the XY4, and am using it so I don't
have to look at the fine print to see which is XyDOS and which XyWin.
Thanks to Jordan.
About paths: Win9.x doesn't really need an autoexec.bat file, unless
you're running some legacy hardware. If one needs to reset the path to
run a DOS app, I've found the following works well: The path command
generates a statement of the current path that itself, if typed from the
command line, would set the path to that. So go to the MSDOS prompt from
Windows. You'll in all probablility be in the Windows folder (prompt will
read C:\Windows). Type PATH>C:WINPATH.BAT (that's the greater than symbol
after the "path", and it pipes, or redirects, the result of the path
statement to the new file winpath.bat). Fix your DOS app to load with a
batch file that sets the path as you need it, launches the app, and then
(i.e., AFTER the app has been closed), resets the path by calling
winpath.bat. For example:
PATH=C:\XY4DOS;C:\
CD C:\WHATEVER
EDITOR
CD C:\WINDOWS
WINPATH
Of course, if you have Xy and any other DOS apps on a separate logical
drive, and your data on yet a third, you never have to CD on C:.
Patricia