Re: Column Tables

** Reply to note from "Thomas J. Hawley"  Tue, 13 May 1997 20:22:20

> One of the more troublesome is when the text in a cell disappears and
> reappears, seemingly at random but perhaps somehow related to cursor
> movement, sometimes with the text at the right margin appearing without its
> initial character, and so forth.

> Has anyone discovered a way to make Column Tables work smoothly? Are there
> some secrets...

I use columns a fair bit, and the phenomenon you're describing -- if I
understand it -- occurs to me only when (in Page-Line mode) the total width of
all columns (+ embedded deltas) exceeds 80 chars. EDITOR seems to want
to represent at least a portion of all the columns on screen; but when they don't
all fit, it provides dynamic excerpts -- and it can definitely look wierd. For
me, the solution is to work in graphic (WZ) mode and then command ZOOM 90 or 85
or whatever, to shrink the data until it "fits".

Graphic mode is far more legible in XyWin than in Xy4, so I usually go
that route (GPFs notwithstanding).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx