Re: Re[2]: A Win95 question

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> First of all, look on your disk. Do you have files called DICT.SPL or WFBG.SYN?
> Those are the Microlytics speller/thesaurus files, respectively. If you have a
> file called *.DIC, e.g. US.DIC, that's the IBM speller/thesaurus. You could
> rename them temporarily, to see whether the dictionary facility still works --
> that would nail down which one you have. You can check the value of VAriable OM
> OldMasticon: command "VA/NV $OM". If OM=31, it's Microlytics; if OM=0, it's
> IBM. Or you can check VAriable LX LeXicon; it won't load unless it finds an IBM
> dictionary on the disk.

Thanks. I got this advice from somebody else in the group while you
weren't looking and indeed I have the Microlytics.

> I disagree with your evaluation of the IBM spellers. The German one is
> interesting, and very large. The AmerEnglish speller sometimes offers quite
> different, and unexpected, synonyms.

Hey, it wasn't *my* evaluation. I only know what I read in here... I was
hoping that the misbegotten thing they sent me with Xy4 could be blamed
on IBM, but it appears Microlytics is the culprit.

> The format of the presentation leaves a lot to be desired, though. I developed
> some alternative frames for use with the IBM spellers, which you might test
> drive. They're in the "External Helpters and XyWrite Access Engines" section at
> http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/

Is there any way to get the speller out of my old Xy3+ and paste it into
Xy4?

Jane Stein
hane@xxxxxxxx