SPELL to file

Harry Binswanger says:

-> Someone here, I think Carl Distefano, mentioned that the
-> best way to spellcheck is to use the command spell file1,file2
-> where "file1" is the file to be checked and "file2"
-> is the name of the file Xy will create that contains
-> just the questionable words. ...

I don't say it's the "best" way; it happens to be my preference.
I find it quicker to scan down a list of words and just fix what
needs fixing; easier than answering all those prompts. (And it
eliminates the annoying pause on double words.)

But there are problems. There's a bug whereby SPELL file1 file2,
whether executed directly from the command line or via an XPL
routine, corrupts the contents of one or more "permanent"
Save/Gets! In my case, I find that even a single use of SPELL
file1 file2 almost invariably corrupts the contents of Save/Get
623, which holds the command history in Holmgren's STACK.PM.
Maybe others notice it; I'd be curious to know. Still, the
convenience of SPELLing to file outweighs the grief, especially
in a multitasking environment, where you can perform the
spell-check in a separate session.

-> Then you can write a little XPL code to process the errors ...

Actually you shouldn't have to. CORRECT file1 file2 is supposed
to perform batch corrections (after you type the corrections
alongside the appropriate "questionable" words). Unfortunately,
it doesn't work. The corrections don't "take". So, as I
mentioned a while back, I do have an XPL routine that automates
SPELL to file and word-by-word corrections using either a CVA or
FUNC SO procedure (user's choice), which addresses the
labour/labor pitfall. I haven't gone so far as
Nathan, however, and implemented a batch correction routine --
only because I haven't felt a pressing need (a word here and
there is enough for me).

TTG should revisit the SPELL/CORRECT duo and make 'em sing in
key.

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx