SPELL U2 Frame

Hello All . . .
This is an old xywriter question about Carl's spell frame, which I finally figured out how to use, though it takes many steps and isn't the way he designed it. I issue the command as usual, spell <helpkey> and a file comes up in the next window with the questionable words. I edit the bunch for obvious errors or entries I don't need, then select the whole group. Next window, I open the spl file I have loaded and drop them in there, then select the whole and sort it back to alphabetical. Would you, Carl, provide a brief rundown of how the frame works?
Fred W