Correction to ZIP: Mass Removal of Archive Bit on All Directories

** Reply to message from "Robert Holmgren"  on Thu, 26 Feb
2004 18:36:49 -0500

Carl alerted me that there is a known bug in MS-DOS 7.0 (which I think is what
Win95, only, uses) that can affect one out of every 21 or 22 lines in a BATch
file such as I posted yesterday. There is a fix for it, too. I'm reposting
the fixed BAT command in ZIPfile DArchBit.ZIP, attached herewith, and also
available at XyWWWeb:
 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/DArchBit.ZIP
I took the opportunity to improve the commands in several other respects, so a
re-download is recommended for all.

In answer to a question posed offline, No, there is no way to pause the display
"by Pages [screenfulls]" when the commands are listing all the attributes for
the directories (6,270 directories on my C: drive alone -- and no
user-installed programs! hard to believe, but true -- what _are_ these M$
people thinking?). The only way to pause the display is to hit the Pause/Break
key (you gotta be nimble!), then  to resume processing.

The *point* here is not especially to see what's going on, but simply to get
rid of the Archive bits. These commands do it, across the board. If you have
a lot of directories, you will need to give the command *time* to execute --
under 95/98/ME, there is *no screen output*! Under NT/2000/XP, you'll see a
prompt for every processed directory, starting with today's version.

Reactions? Anyone? Oui? Non?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx