Re: Goodbye Xy?

** Reply to note from Dr J.L. Gordon  07/05/96
8:03pm +0800

I use DeScribe and Xy/Dos both; I agree with your comments, up to a point.
DeScribe has some terrific features; compared to WP/Windows, the only other GUI
wordprocessor I've tried, it's terrific.

But I still find myself using Xy/Dos for daily writing chores; for projects that need
decent-quality printing, I import the file into DeScribe for formatting.

The lack of keyboard customization capability in DeScribe is a problem. So is the
lack of any way to edit formatting codes. With XyWrite, I can change the margins
of a recurring block of text with a single command, in expanded mode; with
DeScribe, I have to do it manually, chunk by chunk. The speller in DeScribe and
the thesauurus are distinctly inferior to the relic in XyWrite.

But DeScribe is almost as powerful in most respects, and it's a breeze to master;
my daughter picked it up almost instantly. Unlike WP, it's incredibly stable.

jb

        ***James D. Besser, Washington correspondent ***
 Fax: 703-978-3675 * E-mail: jbesser@xxxxxxxx or 4212207@xxxxxxxx ***