Re: XyWrite history?

Joseph Fisher wrote:
1990 XyQuest deal with IBM to produce "Signature" - after 1.5 years project ends (was it ever released as "Signature" to consumers?)

Yes, it was. I recall trying it, not liking it at all, and returning it
within the allowed trial period for my money back.
Apropos of the NB connection, you might want to mention this: After NB came up with Ibid (its bibliography module), TTG brought out Ibid for XyWrite. I could not get it to work: it would use the canned bibliographies that came with it, but whenever I tried to create my own database of references (which was what I got it for), it locked up, alllegedly (said TTG tech support) for lack of memory (this was in DOS, with a 640 K memory "barrier," though TTG and I were both using Novell DOS 7, which could use DOS protected mode and thus access all the RAM you had). Leslie once told me NO ONE could get it to work, but I do recall seeing someone in the archives claiming to have used it. A great shame, as I was doing a lot of symposium papers and festschriften at the time, and a tool like that (you entered your authors, titles, publishers, etc. once and then could output them in any of several standard bibliographical styles: Turabian, Chicago, MLA, etc.) would have been invaluable.

Patricia M. Godfrey