Setting paths in NT

Which is the best way to do this? Note that I don't
want to have the path ALWAYS (i.e., when I'm not using
Xy) include the Xy, Ghostscript, and GSView
directories. In 9x, you could run a batch file,
specified in the pif of a DOS app, before opening the
DOS app, and I set the path for Xy thus. But that
doesn't work in W2K: you have to set the path and call
the DOS app with one batch file, which is then the
"object" of the pif.
Now I see that back in January, Robert explained how to
set the path in NT through the Control
Panel->Environment variable setting. But--or is this a
holdover from low-RAM DOSboxes?--I thought paths ate up
memory, and so don't want the long path I need for Xy
operative when I'm just running Win apps. I have
normally just set the path for DOS-Xy sessions (I use
different path settings when running dBase DOS, which
has its own pif).
Setting the pif to the batch file that both sets the
path and calls Editor.exe works, but on 7/14/ Robert
advised Harry that
>>Launching via BATfiles is NOT the smart way to go
>>under NT. You want to use a Shortcut.
so I'm wondering how to set the path for just the Xy
DOS session without making the pif point to a batfile?
Can I create a specialized version of autoexec.nt
(called something else?) and specify that in the pif?
Or is it ok to launch with a batfile IF the batfile is
called from a pif?
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx