auto-truncation

Does anyone have an XPL program that automatically truncates long file names
on the command line?  What I have in mind is a series of auto-truncating
command-line commands, such as:

Lca --- If you typed "lca c:\documents and files\mytext.xy4" and executed
it, this would actually be executed: "ca c:\docume~1\mytext.xy4".

Lcd --- same sort of thing for changing directories.

As nearly as I can tell, this is not in the jumbo.u2, and yet it seems like
a useful capability. Sometimes my brain just doesn't want to count up to six
(6 characters + ~1) while simultaneously typing an unfamiliar file/directory
name.

Myron