Re: For Robert Holmgren Re: Development

For Ken Frank:

    Very well said. Having spent the better part of my
career as a functional designer of computer systems, I can attest
from first-hand knowledge that the way a technically-oriented
person/user views a function is oftimes very different from the
way a functional-type sees it.

    While the software which runs XyWrite is not the same as
that which operates an automated material management system, it's
still computer software. And you still have technical types
battling functional types in regard to how certain pieces of code
should work and what they should accomplish. At the risk of
touching off a full-scale brouhaha, it was usually my experience
that the technical types never really looked at the system as a
whole, or how their neat little routines, etc., would look and
feel to the person who actually had to use them in day-to-day
operations.

    Your tightrope analogy is a very apt one, and I
sympathize with your having to walk it. Good luck, and don't try
it without a safety net.

            .....Dick W.