INstall

To begin, many thanks indeed to the many who responded to my installation
difficulties. I experimented with each suggestion. To wit: I installed from
the F8 safe mode; I installed from the F8 prompt mode (which, I gather, is
the DOS mode); I installed by booting up in Win98, restarting in DOS MODE;
I took Bob Kubie's suggestion, advice he got from TTG tech support, copied
the install disks in reverse order to a temp director and ran install;and,
finally, I simply took the complete Xy directory and sub-directories off my
main machine, copied them to a ZIP disk, then recopied them on the second
machine in the house where I've been having problems getting Xy to
install/work.
With each iteration, the exact same things happens -- the only way the
program will DISPLAY is when you (create a short-cut, go to
properties/program/advanced and make the program) quite windows mode and
force the program to run in DOS MODE. Anything other configuration and all
I get is a black (blank) screen...save two small things -- a blinking
cursor in the left corner and a reverse video N (numlock symbol) in the
right corner (or what appear to be fragments from the command/line section
of the standard XyDos display) -- the rest of the screen is blank. And the
only way I can get rid of that detritus is to reboot.
So, my installation problem appears (pardon the pun) to have something to
do with display properties or with another attribute that affects the
display. And the display on the machine is standard 800/600.

So much for the symptoms. Is there a doctor in the house?

Michael Norman
michael.norman@xxxxxxxx