XyWrite anomaly - Ubuntu issue?

I have an odd little program file I run to create a document with
today's date as the filename, and it starts by calling up a file
containing
≪DAyy-mm-dd≫

heretofore, the value produced came out

09-11-01

now for some reason on both my Ubuntu desktop box and the laptop it returns

109-11-01

the XP machine returns the correct value.
can some of y'all test and see if this is my own glitch? Paul Lagasse and anyone else running Linux, I'd be interested in your results as well.
if I can't solve it, perhaps someone can design a more elegant XPL
program than mine to generate a file named with today's date in the form

09-11-01.txt

-rafe

-rafe t.