Re: saving to alternative disk directory

hi Paul --
on the new desktop, a quad-core of fairly recent vintage, XyWrite scarcely registers on the GKrellM monitors except when I switch in and out of it. on the little Asus netbook, however, Conky shows spikes and big CPU usage, and the internal fan gets excited quite a bit, no matter what CPU setting I use in .dosemurc (in fact I'm a bit skeptical about whether that CPU setting is even implemented). if I get a half an hour, I'll see if I can scale it back with Tame.
I am still on 9.04 on the desktop, Intrepid on the netbook -- just only
installed the desktop about 2-3 weeks ago, and it works very, very
nicely, and the last thing I need is for something to break -- as a
matter of fact I saw a report that some part of jPilot, a nice, lean
little program I use to link to my old Treo, doesn't work under 9.10.

-rafe

Paul Lagasse wrote:
Raphael Tennenbaum wrote:
Xywrite under Dosemu is the fastest I've ever seen, though it also uses considerable CPU power & I will probably experiment with putting Tame on it.
Rafe, I just was playing around with XyWrite and some other programs in
Ubuntu 9.10 to see what sort of CPU usage I was getting, and though Xy4
spiked when starting, shutting down and running some searches across a
lot of files, it seemed well behaved otherwise. In fact, it seemed to
add very little to the baseline CPU usage when typing, saving a file,
and the like; System Monitor itself and Firefox were more intensive CPU
users. I double-checked this is Mint 6 (U. 8.10) and got the same basic
result tracking CPU usage with Conky.

Paul Lagasse