Re: Nota Bene

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Harry Binswanger wrote:

> At 12:45 AM 10/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >>
> >> Does it support wildcard search-and-replace?
> >>

> >Again, same as Xy--same underlying editor, with some divergence after
> >3.57. So it does Xy S&R, but not grep-like S&R.
> >
> >	Dorothy
> >
> But Xy 3.57 does not support WILDCARD search and replace, so I still don't
> know if NB does.
> Please advise.
> Thanks,
> Harry

Sorry to have responded so quickly. NB4.5 does wildcard *search* a la
Xy3+, but not wildcard *replace* a la grep (a stock unix routine). I
can't say what they may be building into the next version, but doubt
that grep-like wildcard replace will be supported. There are utilities
out there to do that on intel machines, so presumably you could call
such a program from the command line.

Robert's quite right; the Xy engine in NB4.x is pure 3.57; Xy4
developments are a separate line from NB4 developments. If NBWin is
essentially NB5, I don't know what (if any) Xy4/XyWin engine features
will be licensed and incorporated. Haven't seen anything of it but the
Ibid parts, and that was some time ago, so even it has probably changed.

BTW, BookWhere? 2000, a marvelous program for grabbing online library
catalog entries and converting to your favorite bibliographic database
format, now supports Ibid, and will be associated (bundled?) with the
32-bit NBWin.
	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."