Re: Poscript Printer Fonts

Hi, Marc.

I don't know what you mean by "configure fonts for postscript," and maybe
that's not your exact intention. Rather, it sounds as though you want to
produce electronic files (using the TYF or PRINTF command?) that will be
encoded with postscript commands. A lot of people on this list know much
more about postscript than I do, but you may need to specify what your
exact goal is.

Your PRN file, GALLEY.PRN, sounds like one that was custom-made by a
predecessor (presumably as a step in the process of producing galley
proofs). Open it in XY3; if you see a section not very far down from the
top of the file that has a comment line with a phrase like "PostScript
coding" followed by a lot of lines of characters with no spaces, then your
GALLEY.PRN is already set up to print to a Postscript printer.

I can give you the names of the original ("factory") XY3 printer files that
were written for postscript printers (there are only about three or four of
them), but it will have to wait till I'm back at my office computer. (You
could also go to www.xywrite.com and look at the list of printer files
there.)

Tom Hawley already addressed the question of adding new fonts to an existing
PRN, which may be another thing you're looking for.

Carlo Caballero
CarloC@xxxxxxxx

Quoting Marc :

> I was wondering if there was an article anywhere regarding configuring
> fonts
> for postscript.
> We wish to be able to provide our Legal publications to our printer in an
> electronic Postscript format. (at the moment the work is supplied in hard
> copy that required them to scan it in - very time consuming and
> expensive)
>
> Currently using a PRN file called GALLEY.PRN which was set up before my
> time.
> It is based on a laserjet 500 plus and only has soft fonts. (if this
> means
> anything?!?!?!)
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Running on V3.57
>
> Thanks
>
> Marc

Carlo Caballero
Stanford Humanities Center
424 Santa Teresa St
Stanford, CA 94305 USA

tel. 650-724-8128
CarloC@xxxxxxxx

"'We did not waste the time rehearsing: Ysaÿe saw that he had an
experienced musician to deal with and was eager to have stopped playing
and start discussing the pancakes."	--Ginzburg, "Eugene Ysaÿe"