Re: Xywrite antiques -Reply

A couple things:
1. I wouldn't be surprised if older renditions WordPerfect had some way to control character width;
it used Speedo fonts, too, and this is a feature of Speedos.
2. Yes, there is a PCL code to control inter-letter spacing - positive for "tracking" and
negative for a pseudo "Kerning." With a high enough negative value, you can even get
letters to overlap, with interesting results for logos. I'll dig out the PCL code and send it along
soon. (Chris Madsen, who's still with TTG and working remotely from Maine, taught me this trick.)
3. When you use PCL codes to mess with spacing, you also mess with justification (because you're
bypassing the width tables for Speedo fonts).
4. I automated this feature in the customized menu/dialog system I've posted here. Find it in the
archives. (Sorry, I gave it to Nathan and have never bothered to download it, so I can't tell you
how. But others have used this system successfully, so I know it's there.)
5. Other stuff you can get with Speedos include all the ligatured letter combos (also in my menus).
They mess up spell checking and probably justification, but can be great in headlines.

Stay tuned. Isn't XyWrite full of pleasant surprises!

Tim Baehr