AR FUNCTION

SA->         Daniel Say:
 ->     This is one of the reasons I suggested that TTG
 ->     report a list of the changes in XYdos 3.xx and
 ->     how any problems are corrected in XYdos 4.xx.
 ->      If it has been written out, then we need to
 ->     know which kernel does what, and how XY4 has
 ->     solved or improved on it.

Considering the lack of documentation concerning moving from Xy
4 to Xywin, I don't think there's much hope for TTG notes on the
subject of 3+ to 4. I would expect TTG is too busy with its own
software and with developing a Win95 version.

However, the difference between 3+ and 4 is not so much in terms
of functions and commands but in approach.

Xyquest, remember, was developing its menu system by 3.55; well
in 4, the menu system is fully developed in terms of dialog
boxes. The 4 keyboard is essentially dialog-box based; many of
its commands call the associated dialog frame in favor of the
plain command. So rather than the former system of command line
to command execution, one has keyboard combination to help frame
(and choices) and then execution. A third step has been built in
that would seem to slow overall operations but seems negligible
on a fast computer.

If one is unaccustomed to Xywrite, v4 would be about the easiest
way to pick it up.

Alternatively, TTG has allowed the choice of working in
Xywrite as in the past. What I have done, and what anyone could
do, is bring forward the 3+ keyboard file, display file, and
programming and run it in v4. In terms of software compatibility,
this is a miracle of good programming on TTG's part.

What inconsistencies there are can be worked around. With v4, one
can even redefine function calls.

So you can either work in 4 via Xy classic or dialog box. It
depends on how much you customized. The more you've customized,
the easier your choice. Of course, you can always consider a
combination of both.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx